Friends of Santa Teresa Park Meeting, 10/2/08
Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Ronald Horii,
Monahan, Ed Jackson, Woody Collins, Holly Davis, Mario
Blaum, Roland LeBron, Glorianne & Junias Kaunda, Gloria Gill
(manager of volunteer programs in the
County Parks Dept.)
- Gloria Gill talked about volunteer activities:
- Coastal cleanup on Los Alamitos Creek had 96
volunteers, picked up 50K lbs of trash, 7 truckloads of trash. Arundo
removal filled 2 big dump trucks.
- Volunteers cleaned up 4 miles of creek.
- Gloria wants to visit all the friends groups.
There are about 10.
- National River Cleanup Day is in the spring.
- There is a trail day at Ed Levin on 10/4.
- Saturday 10/11 is South Bay Fishing in the City at Lake
- Saturday 10/18 is arundo removal at Los Gatos Creek Park.
- Saturday 10/25 is the end of theyear volunteers BBQ.
- Heidi will be making a presentation to the Parks &
Rec. Commission next month.
- Mike wants to have a cleanup day on the Coyote-Alamitos
- A cocaine pipe was found at Santa Teresa Spring.
- We talked about park maintenance: Rangers are responsible
for patrolling and securing areas. Maintenance is in charge of cleanup.
Their first priority is bathrooms. They have been driving a truck up to
the pond at the spring to get close to the trash cans. They don't
cleanup the spring everyday. 3 maintenance workers have to cleanup
Calero, Almaden Quicksilver, and Santa Teresa Park. The rangers for
Santa Teresa come from Hellyer.
- Drew Merry said he got a picture showing what the spring
once looked like. The bushes were cut to match it.
- Wild dogs were reported along the Stile Ranch Trail. They
- We have $725 in the bank.
- The Historic Area site plan:
- A meeting to discuss the Santa Teresa Historic Area will
be held on October 16.
- The Pyzak House will be mothballed.
- Neighbors don't want a turn-around at the end of Manila
- The Water District says it's OK to cross the canal.
- The bridge across the canal by the Pedro Bernal House is
fenced off with barbed wire.
- Ron showed pictures from the Santa Teresa Community Fest,
conditions and paintball tagging around Santa Teresa Spring, the roof
of the Pyzak House, the Norred Trail, pig damage near the park, and
trespassers on the canal.
- Volunteer Hours for September:
- Ronald Horii: 45 hours,
photography, trails, 3
hours FOSTP meeting
- Mike Boulland: 8 hours + 3 hours FOSTP meeting
- Kitty Monahan: 5 hours + 3 hours FOSTP meeting
- Woody Collins: 3 hours FOSTP meeting
- Holly Davis: 3 hours FOSTP meeting.
- Ed Jackson: 10 hours + 3 hours
- Mario Blaum: 10 hours + 3 hours FOSTP
Created 11/3/08 by Ronald
Horii, secretary of the Friends of Santa Teresa Park