Return to the Friends of Santa Teresa Park
- Attendees: Mike Boulland, Kitty
Monahan, Martin Reinders, and Ron
Horii. Neighbors Bill Wolf and Ellen Anderson came for the first time
to see what's going on in the neighborhood.
- Mike showed an article by past member Dorothy Wuss.
- We reviewed last month's meeting minutes.
- Ron Showed a slideshow: showing cattle fencing progress;
flowers on the trails; Festival in the Park at Hellyer; the Visual San
Jose historic photo contest awards at Southern Lumber, in which Ron
took first place; dudleya on the Fortini Trail, weed cutting and a work
day by students at the Bernal Ranch; vines and dirt by Santa Teresa
Spring that need cleaning up; conditions on the Norred Trail; Curie
Drive, where the road will be widened by the Pyzak Ranch; fire at
Rancho San Vicente.
- No report by park staff. No park commission meeting. No
Historic Heritage meeting.
- Mike was concerned that he and Kitty will not have a
regular time slot to speak at the Park Commission meeting.
- There was no VCC meeting last month due to Festival in the
Park. There will be a meeting next Tuesday.
- Ron finished editing the new newsletter. He got
articles and information from Mike, Kitty, Sam, Kitty, Greg, Roxanne
and her daughter. Mike will make copies to hand out and give them to
Sam to hand out at his booth at Almaden Lake's 4th of July celebration
- Santa Teresa Village Fest will be on September 19 at the
Village Oaks shopping center. There was a pilot version of the fest
last year. This year will be bigger. Sam will have a booth. There are
other events on that date, so we may not be able to staff our own
booth. We can see about sharing Sam's booth or giving him newsletters
to pass out.
- Mike want to organize a tour of Santa Teresa Park. We need
to schedule a date. It's too late to put it on the park calendar. It
will be a FOSTP event.
- CAP Grant Cycle 28: we finished up the expenses. We will
need to submit the final report.
- CAP Grant Cycle 29: the application is due July 31. There
is a class on the CAP Grant process on July 16. Ron will attend. He and
Mike will work on the budget and grant application. The grant will pay
for UNSCC membership, our website fees, and newsletter costs. If we
have an event, it will pay for event insurance, food, T-shirts, and
awards. We voted to go ahead and apply for the grant.
- 7/2 was the last day to apply for this year's Historic
Heritage Commission grant. There is about $300K available. $40K-$60K is
added each year. It can only be used on physical property in a park or
preserve in the county. There is no maximum grant amount. The largest
grant was $70K for the Sea Scouts building in Palo Alto.
- We want to see if we can save the Pyzak House. It has
extensive termite damage and may be demolished. Mike was thinking about
using it to store historical archives for Rancho Santa Teresa. We need
to meet with planner Kim Brosseau about the plans for the house. Before
it was the Pyzak House, it was the Jacoba Bernal House, built for one
of the Bernal Family daughters. It dates back to the 1930's.
- We plan to take a tour of the Bernal Ranch on 7/29 at 4:00,
meet at the ranch house. Ron will check with John Dorrance to see if
he's available to open the house and barn and give us a tour.
Afterwards, we can take a van up to Coyote Peak. Kitty will get the
van. Afterwards, we'll go for dinner at Flames. We should be done
- We talked about clearing away the dirt and vines in front
of Santa Teresa Spring and the shrine. We could get students to work on
it as part of a volunteer work project in exchange for the parks
waiving fees for the cross-country meet. We need to talk to Roxanne and
John Dorrance about it. We could have a recognition event and potluck
picnic after the work day..
- Fandango may be canceled. The interpretive staff is
short-handed. They need to hire 2 new interpreters to fill 2 openings.
If they can hire some people, they might be able to organize Fandango,
but they won't have much time.
- Ed said that someone was caught shoot arrows at turkeys
from a bike. He said there have been break-ins and thefts in the Manila
- Ron will be helping to lead a hike at the new Coyote Valley
Open Space Preserve on Tuesday July 14 at 9:30 am.
- Carnivorous Plant Night is on July 11 at the 7:30 at the